Saturday, April 10, 2010

Eastertime Treats


Through the ages, Hot Cross Buns have become a traditional Good Friday food. I have never made these before, but since we had some family coming in from Holy Thursday night to Easter Sunday, I thought I would take the opportunity to prepare these. I used a recipe from one of my favorite books "Whole Grain Baking" by King Arthur Flour. These buns were made with all natural ingredients and whole wheat flour. I added a mixture of raisins, dried cherries and dried blueberries and used Grand Marnier instead of Rum to soak the fruit in. They were outstandingly delicious!! Some of us may have eaten 2-3 at a time. The texture came out quite well, especially for my first shot at a yeast roll. Can't wait to make these again.

The observance of Easter did not end there. Easter Sunday brought a variety of sweet and savory goodies including a broccoli cheddar quiche, traditional pork roast and trimmings as well as cupcakes and...cookies!! My nephews helped to make and decorate some of the cookies. The cupcakes were a big hit as well, frosted with homemade vanilla buttercream.

No comments:

Post a Comment